Main Categories: | Landscape | Fenceposts | Wildlife | Trees | Mushrooms | Art | Games || All Posts ||
for daily images, visit my ||Tumblr||

Monday 7 December 2015

The Blob

Monday Mushroom #92

I found this big glob of translucent slime on a rotting log in december. At first I wasn't sure what it was but the presence of hairy stereum - Stereum hirsutum - fungus on the same log was a clue.



Tremella - a genus of jelly fungi - are all parasitic on various crust fungi. The most commonly seen is Tremella mesenterica the yellow brain fungus, but three related fungi Tremella aurantia and Tremella foliacea parasitise Stereum Spp.

I've photographed them before, so here they are:

Tremella foliacea

Tremella aurantia
Tremella steidleri

I'm guessing my blob was probably a very old, decomposing Tremella steidleri...

No comments: